When you have a little one, it seems like there is always something else you need to buy. It seems like your baby is growing at an exponential rate, and before you know it, it's time to buy them new shoes and new pants. Didn't you JUST buy them new shoes? Yeah, probably, but they've already grown out of them! That's why when a DIY hack comes around, you want to jump on it if it'll save you money. Making a DIY toddler bed is one of the coolest DIY hacks out there! Not only does it save you a little bit of money (who are we kidding, it saves a lot of money) but it allows you to decorate it in whatever style you or your toddler want! And knowing that your little one is sleeping soundly in something you constructed with your own two hands is a truly magical feeling.
The imaginations of little ones are magical - they contain so many galaxies. Perhaps your little one loves airplanes or forests or castles. You can easily transform their bedroom into the room of their dreams by altering some of the DIY Toddler Bed plans we have laid out. Or, after you've built the bed, have your little one help you paint it! Little ones always want to paint and draw on things that are "forbidden," so they'll love getting to paint their own furniture, and it will be a wonderful project that the two of you will remember for years to come, each night when you tuck them into bed and every morning when you wake them up.
Before you cut your hair, you need to make sure you have the following items before you begin. Staying organized and having all the materials you need will be the difference between a hair disaster and professional-looking cut.
What Is a Toddler Bed?
A toddler bed is basically the middle-ground between a real bed and a crib. As babies grow into toddlers, they want the independence of a bed they can get in and out of themselves, but they aren't ready for the size of an adult bed. Many toddler beds are close to the ground in case the toddler rolls out in their sleep, so they don't fall far. Toddler beds utilize the small crib mattress while putting it in a different frame to help the toddler.
What Ages Are Toddler Beds Good For?
Every kid is different, and when you're considering whether your child is ready to switch from a crib to a toddler bed, you should take your cues from your kid. Often parents make the step to a toddler bed when their toddler begins climbing out of their crib on their own. And when you're considering whether your kid is ready for an adult or "big kid" bed, ask them! The best way to know what your child wants and is ready for is to ask them what they think.
Different DIY Toddler Bed Ideas
There are a handful of different DIY Toddler Bed ideas out there to choose from. And what's great is that you can take an idea or directions you see and alter them to better suit your child.
Modern DIY Toddler Bed
This DIY Toddler Bed has a modern feel that you and your child will love. It's cozy and can be painted whatever color best suits your toddler's room. This bed fits a standard crib mattress.
- 1The two pieces cut from the 1"x16"x8' board will be used to make up the two sides of the bed. One measures 27.5" and the other measures 53.5". Don't cut these. Use the 27.5" as a template and place it on the 1'x16'x6' board so it is flush with one end. Make a pencil mark at the top of the long board, and set the sort one aside.
- 2Measure 7" in from one edge and draw a line - then measure 5.5" from the top right corner of the board: this is where the curve will start. If you want to freehand the curve, go ahead, or find something with a curve you like that you can trace.
- 3Clamp your 6' board to saw horses and use the jigsaw to cut along the lines.
- 4Measure up 53.5" from the other end of the 6' board you were just cutting. Make a right angle and measure up 7". Use the curve you cut as a template for your other curve. Use the jigsaw to cut this.
- 5Decide which corner you want the low curve to be on the bed so you know how to attach the pieces.
- 6Attach the long boards to the short boards using screws.
- 7Place the side slats along the bottom and attach.
- 8Attach the hairpin legs.
Headboard and Footboard DIY Toddler Bed
This DIY toddler bed is perfect for the little one in your life.
- 1Locate a headboard and footboard. Put the footboard on saw horses and cut it evenly down the center.
- 2Attach the two pieces of the footboard to the headboard at 90-degree angles, letting the bottom of the headboard and footboard act as feet.
- 3Tie the headboard and footboard together at the junctions so it stays steady, then connect them with screws or nails.
- 4Cut a piece of plywood to fit inside the frame you've created.
- 5Use the natural ledge of the headboard to find a good spot for the plywood to rest and the baby mattress to lay on.
- 6Attach the piece of plywood with screws.
- 7Sand the frame down and paint whatever color you want! Or let your toddler help paint their own bed!
DIY projects can be frustrating, especially if you aren't particularly crafty. You expect everything to work out exactly as the internet said it would and instead, you're left with a mess. It can be really discouraging to look down at all of your hard work and have it not amount to much.
But don't let past DIY projects hold you back from trying more! The truth is, as you get more used to working with your hands, as well as power tools or other tools with which you may be unfamiliar, you will become better and better at creating the things you try to create. This can be a great way to save money, but it's also incredibly gratifying to know that you have the ability to, with your very own hands, create something that is aesthetically pleasing, technically sound, and of great use!
As wonderful as DIY projects are in general, when it comes to your kids, DIY projects are even better. Everybody knows that having kids is expensive, but a lot of the time, you don't really understand how expensive until you're there, adding up the bills for diapers and daycare and formula. So finding whatever ways you can to cut corners can be a vital part of making ends meet as a parent in this era.
Having a baby is a life-changing, wonderful, beautiful, frustrating, terrifying, exhilarating, expensive experience. And you can make life a little easier on yourself by doing things like using hand-me-down clothing and toys. And creating a toddler bed on your own out of some pieces of wood or a headboard and a footboard. Once you've begun to realize that you have the ability to create these DIY projects, nothing can hold you back!
You can revolutionize your space, your finances, and your life by engaging in DIY projects. And this DIY toddler bed may be the beginning for you. Whether your toddler wants to be a monkey in the jungle, or a princess, or a knight, you can easily modify a DIY toddler bed design to not just be cozy for your little one, but to ignite their imaginations and power their dreams. Don't just help your kids reach their dreams, help them build them! Give your toddler the magical, dreamy bedroom that they've always imagined, and help keep the wonder alive in their eyes.
For more FAQs, product reviews, and everything for you and your baby, visit our website today.
Last update on 2021-01-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API